This is a review of a sermon by Pastor Ryan Cochran preached last Sunday, April 15th, 2013. Vancouver BC.
I haven’t ever reviewed a sermon like this, especially one at my own church. This one struck me as especially important.
Main Point: Your Job is meaningless, but the resurrection of Jesus gives it meaning.
Flow of the Sermon:
- Ecclesiastes says everything is meaningless, including work. That’s right. When we try to build our identity or put our hope in our jobs we will always be disappointed. If our purpose is just our work then life is meaningless.
- Our jobs are ONLY good if they are for the purpose of following, loving and worshiping God.
- We should do four things
- DIE to the idea that our jobs can be who we are and what we live for.
- BE OPEN TO GOD at work by viewing our jobs as a gift from Him and praying for our work.
- HAVE JOY in our work because it is for God.
- SEE IT AS MISSION. The work itself is part of God’s work. There is no separation between church and God and the rest of life. It is all one.
The ways we worship God in church are just an image of the ways we should be worshiping him in everyday life. In communion we eat and give thanks. We give our money. We pray for people. We study the Bible. We are supposed to be doing these daily in our lives. Church is training for worship in the rest of life.
Conclusion: You should believe that God has given you your job and sent you to that place. This faith will bring your job back to life.
What Will I DO in Response?
- think about this sermon again by editing my notes on it (which you are now reading)
- Remember the image of Sunday worship service as training for everyday life. Try to implement all the ways we worship on Sunday into my life outside Sunday morning.
by Isaac Whiting
If you liked this post COMMENT and tell me what you think. Take a minute and SHARE IT.